Mainly in the Tavistock and West Devon/Plymouth contact area
Overview of aims of the Group: To demonstrate the qualities of locally-reared bees and to encourage local beekeepers to develop their own stock.
Specific short-term targets: This is a group with mixed experience. We would aim to support less experienced members to:
• Assess the quality of their colonies
• Identify queens suitable for queen-rearing and drone-production
• Learn to graft/transfer larvae for stock improvement programmes
• Consolidate desirable traits by collaborative queen-rearing
• Provide nucs for local beekeepers to develop into colonies